Monday, July 1, 2013

Model Policy - Duty Knife

As I mention in class, I performed a State (CO) wide survey in 2010 and was surprised to find that the majority of LE agencies have no policy in place for the Duty-Knife; either for the carrying of or the use of it by officers/deputies.

This is alarming since the same survey showed that the vast majority of patrol officers (96%) carry a knife while on duty and that knife is defined by CRS as a "deadly weapon".

Over the last year, I have researched other States and LE associations/organizations and reached out to several resources regarding knife-specific policy. In doing so, I have compiled some information and developed a Model Policy for the Duty-Knife.

The Model Policy is pretty comprehensive and is written so that it can be a stand-alone policy or be used in combination with an existing policy. An agency can use it in part or in whole.

If you are interested in reviewing this Model Policy for the Duty-Knife, please e-mail me directly and I can send you a copy: cqctactics@msn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment