Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sheep Dog V. Sheep conversation...

Two types of people in the world. The first, when injured/hurt feels self-pity, curls up and cries about it. The second type gets angry and wants to fix it or do something about it. It is true throughout nature. Prey are defensive and run away. They fall down and expose their neck in submission. Predators, when attacked, get pissed and fight back with extreme prejudice. Thinking about this, I share a recent conversation I had about my Tactical Knife Options course:

Interesting (and kinda alarming) conversation with a couple of ladies who were asking me questions about my TKO-civ class. I was explaining the whole “offensive mind-set” and how action beats re-action.  She looked at me and said “women cant do that…” meaning that a woman cant fight back or be aggressive towards and attacker.  She added “women are prey!” I was taken back for a moment. But after a brief moment of reflection, I told her “ I cant say this generally about all women or men, but your correct; if you think you are the “prey”, then you are and will be prey”.

 I can teach techniques. I can explain the science behind the combat stress and the SNS activation and the dynamics of re-action time versus reflex response. But I cannot teach someone how to make the mental transition from prey/re-active/defensive mindset to predator/action/offensive mindset. You cant teach someone to get mad and take offence that someone is trying to steal everything from you, including your life. That is a deeply personal decision and I submit an inherent one to some extent.

Sheep Dog V. Sheep….

No comments:

Post a Comment