Thursday, March 6, 2014

My dog Leo

Pretty cool. Thought I would share...

The morning routine, where is LEO?
            This morning I got up early and meandered to the kitchen. I started up the coffee pot and looked out the window to check on the stock. The sheep were all in their pen; some still sleeping and huddled together to fend off the morning chill; others munching on some feed. It was a chilly morning with snow still on the ground, and a wondrous sunrise climbing the sky. I looked around the yard for my dog LEO but did not see him anywhere in sight. I walked to the door, cracked it open and whistled twice; our code to come in for breakfast. No LEO. This was odd because LEO, being a big dog, loves his food. I whistled again and still no LEO. I began to worry a bit.

About LEO:
            Now I don’t typically fret much about LEO. He is a big dog; abnormally big for his breed. LEO runs about 120 lbs and is a mean looking mangy dog. His primary breed is Australian Shepard; but I believe he has Wolverine blood in him. He is ultimately protective over his territory - and all in it. The sheep and chickens don’t like him much because, frankly, he smells of violence and is a mean looking beast. Mangy might be an understatement and he won’t win any dog shows any time soon. Like I said, he is big! Huge pads with sharp claws and I swear his front canines are three inches long. And if he has ever been scared, you would never know it by his demeanor. Yet he is also one of the gentlest creatures I have known. I have watched him let the kids pelt him with snowballs, ride him, try to wrestle him and generally play the kind of tricks that kids like to play with him. He has never so much as flinched or even shown a hint of annoyance with them. But I would not want him angry or hunting me. There is a violent, protector lurking just under his fur. You can see predator there in his eyes when he senses danger.

Finding LEO
            Like I said, I don’t fret much for LEO. I know he can handle himself. After all, we live in the hills and LEO is not exactly tame; more of a wild creature who tolerates us. None the less, I dressed, grabbed the shotgun and went looking for LEO. Why a shotgun you ask? Like I mentioned we live in the wilderness where it pays to be prepared. There are always predators out there looking for an easy snack. Bear, big cats, and the wolves make death and danger a daily worry.

            I made my way into the shadows of the woods that surround our little farm. I kept whistling for LEO. Finally, I heard movement in the brush and raised my shotgun, just in case. Out came LEO looking like he had been in a tussle. He was missing part of his ear and walking with a limp and covered in blood; not his. Yet, he had that smug look of contentment that told me whatever he had fought with was worse off. I rubbed his head and let him lead me to where he had battled. There lying in the snow was a dead wolf with his belly torn out. There was also a heavy blood trail leading off into the woods; not doubt some other wolf is rethinking trying to steal our sheep or chickens.

            We walked back to the house where I tended LEO’s wounds and fed him an extra big breakfast. Then, without a look back, LEO went outside to start his rounds. Because, that is what LEO does. He protects his territory and the sheep. Today the sheep didn’t baah at him. Even though he is scary, they seemed to sense that he had fought to protect them this morning.
 
L.E.O.
            That is what our Law Enforcement Officers (LEO) do every day. They go out and protect the sheep. They smell of violence and look mean with all the weapons they carry. They don’t show fear in the face of danger and they don’t expect much in return. They lay it on the line to fend off and, if necessary kill the predators out there who hunt the sheep. And every now and then, the sheep recognize what they do. Thanks LEO.

No comments:

Post a Comment